Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Should I stay or should I go?

Question from Kansas Cowgirl:
Dear Auntie,
I recently found a text on my boyfriend's phone from another woman. At first he said, "she's just a friend" but later he said, "I'm sorry. It was inappropriate and it won't happen again." Apparently he has been texting and talking to her for a month or more. She does not live in our state and they have only met in person when I'm around. Yes, I know this for a fact.
My boyfriend and I live together and run a business together. I am a single parent of two young boys and their father sends very little child support. Our business pays the bills but money is still tight. Our business is at our home so I don't have to pay for childcare.
If I leave him, I don't know what I'll do financially but I don't want to stay in a relationship for financial reasons alone.
My question is...Do I accept his apology and stay or should I bail out now?

Dear Kansas Cowgirl,
I believe in second chances for most things except cheating and abusing. If he has never cheated or given you reason to doubt him in the past, I would give him a second chance. I would however, let him know that this is the ONLY second chance he gets. There's no room for the three strike rule in relationships.
If he HAS cheated on you before this then I say leave now. I know that some relationships have survived infidelity but I am a firm believer in "a leopard can't change his spots".
I understand why you are concerned about finances, when considering leaving, but please do not let yourself become a doormat for a cheater just because money will be tight. There are resources out there for single moms that can help with groceries, electric bills, childcare, rent, etc. Possibly a family member could help out with the kids while you're at work.
I'll try to post a list of resources for you soon but in the meantime check out your state's website and see what they offer. The federal gov't has a resources page as well.
Best of luck Cowgirl
Auntie

No comments:

Post a Comment