Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Should pot be legal?

I personally am not going to write about politics. I want to stay away from the political issues of whether marijuana should be legalized or not. I don't want to get into the "war on drugs" with this post. I am merely asking a question to you, the readers. A few days ago Colorado became the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use and there are several states where it's legal for medicinal use IF you have a prescription.
For me, I tried pot twice in high school but I didn't get anything out of it so I never did it again. If it wasn't going to be fun for me then why risk getting busted over it.
As an adult, I have been very much against pot. In fact, one of my children started using pot as a teenager and we had many epic, world war 3 type battles over it. I was so adamant against it that when he was old enough, I gave him a choice, "quit using pot or get your stuff and get out of my house!!!" He packed his stuff and left.
Now, several years later, I find myself wondering if a little bit of "medical marijuana" would help ease my chronic pain. I suffer from several chronic pain illnesses, migraines and insomnia. I'm still on the fence. I've tried everything the doctors recommend. I've had major surgeries that were supposed to help and didn't. I've had several doctors say, "I don't know what else I can do for you." Seriously, I've tried it all and it's been so bad lately I'm feeling desperate. I've done a lot of research about medical marijuana and I've read all the pros and cons. BTW, it IS legal in my state for medicinal usage WITH a prescription.
I have also read that just because your state says it's legal, the federal gov't still says it's illegal and federal trumps state every time.
So what do you think? Should the federal gov't legalize marijuana? Should it be legal ONLY for medicinal use or should be legal for recreational use as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment